Introduction of the village
The village lies at the place where the Szalon and the Nyiko stream flow into
each other beside the 134A county road at a height of 490-525 meters. In the
fields several streams flow into the Nyiko like the Gada stream, Szalon stream,
Koves stream. Southwest to it lies the Rez peak at a hight of 932 meters. Beside
the Koves stream there are several mud Vulcan's showing how close is the mechanic
mountain range. According to the oral tradition the Szalon stream springs out
of drawing room (that would be the English word for the Hungarian "szalon") of
the once beautiful castle that existed below the Firtos peak. The legend of "Feherlofia"
( The Son of the White Horse) says that the knight from Nyiko came up to the
castle by the flow of the Szalon stream to see the fairy of the castle and he
got stuck in there and his horse can be seen in the southern part of the Firtos.
Its neighbor villages are Bencéd, Kisfalud, Nyikómalomfalva, Süko, Székelydobó, Vágás, and Kobátfalva.
The 1333 decimal note of the pope mentions it as a distinct church having two ministers. It was name Villa S. Michaelis after its saint protector (Orban Balazs). The name Szekelyszentmihaly was given to it in the eighteenth century so it can be differentiated from other villages with the same name.
Its Unitarian church lies in the western part of the village. It was built between 1841-1851 in the place of an older church is classicist style. In building it they used the material from the old church that was built in the Middle Ages. The entrance from the bell tower is framed on both sides by an altar stone with Roman inscription both of them altars of the officer that was in the military camp from Enlak in the fourth century.
The monument of the martyrs of Szentmihaly lies in the Gyarmati garden at the place called Harmashalom. It was built in the memory of four young men who were murdered in the revolution from 1848. They were killed on the 6 th of November 1848 in the yard of the Ugron mansion in the presence of the captain of the emperor.
The Ugron mansion was the estate of Ugron Janos right to the main street at the entrance of the village. Nowadays it is a clinic.
The church school of the village was made in the nineteenth century. In 1859 they built a new school. At the moment in the village there is functioning an elementary and a nursery school with two teachers and an educator. Up from the fourth grade the children go to school to Cobacesti by school bus.
Even at the beginning of the century there
was a rich cultural life in the village. They had a choir with 70 members
and they performed a play every year. The plays were taught by Kadar
Balazs, the choir was lead by Ajtony Jozsef. From 1977 the choir is lead
by the teacher Matyus Ilona. She organized a similar group for students
and they are very popular on the yearly organized show from Cristuru-Secuiesc
called "The Festival of Soskut". In 1981 they even won a national
prize, they were first in the country. And Andras Gyula who is playing
flute won several first prizes at several competitions.
They organize a harvest ball in every year on the day of Szentmihaly and the Eastern dawning.
The possibility for gathering culture is given in the school and by the church. Now the possibilities begin to grow wider with the founding of the David Ferenc youth organization.