Introduction of the village
The village lies in the valley of the Leckert stream close to the Nyiko river
at a height of 515 meters. It is 4 kilometers from Simonesti on the 39 village
road. Its neighbors are: Medisoru Mic in the north, Turdeni in the east, Nicolesti
in the south. The village is settled in the place of two other villages from
the 13 th century - Kortvefa, Szenakert. The disappearance of these two villages
can be explained with the coming of the Tartar hordes. The survives hid away
and later they founded Medisoru Mare.
The name "medisoru" was originally the
name of a kind of a stream. Some streams that had little water in them
were shallow and their bed was narrow. The adjective "mare" - big -
was given to it so that it can be differentiate from Medisoru Mic, a village
nearby Cristuru- Secuiesc.
The village was first mentioned in
writing under the name "Meddeser" in 1566 when in the army of Janos
Zsigmond it had 10 soldiers with horses.
The village has 147 inhabitants, all of them Hungarians. The dominant religion is Unitarian, 127 persons in number. 8 inhabitants of the village are Roman-Catholics, 10 are Reformed, 1 inhabitant has other religious beliefs. One inhabitant has no religious belief. ( dates from 2002)
In the 12 th century the village was still Roman-Catholic and had no church of its own, it belonged to Nicolesti. It had its first own church in 1600 and in the 18 th century it became a Unitarian mother church.
The Unitarian church was built in 1805 from stone and it is roofed with shingle. Of the church from the late Middle Ages they kept the two gates in Gothic style. One of them is the entrance of the bell tower, the other is the entrance from the bell tower into the church itself. One of the gates has a pointed arch, the other is semicircular. The paneled ceiling is from 1810. The church is among the monuments of Hargita county.
One of the bells of the tower that is from 1496 is worth seen, too.
In the south of the village, on Borsofold the archeologists found remains of a Roman colony, so that is an archeological reserve.
The oldest dates about the primary school from Medisoru Mare are from 1801.
The functioning of the school up to our days is due
to the rules "Barn of the Unitarian School of Medisoru" that was
an understatement. According to it the budget of the school was always
to be taken care of with the money made from the barn.
In the past before the migration of the youth the teachers organized acting groups, folk dance groups and choirs. They were several performances in a year and they took part at different cultural contests. The organizing of the Unitarian patroness since 1928 is worth to be mentioned. Today the ministers bring some color into the life of the village, in 1998 they organized a reunion for all the actual and former villagers. They also kept a feats in the memory of the fight from Feheregyhaza.
Dr. Kiss Elek (1888-1971) Unitarian bishop, religious writer, translator
Szabó Árpád (1913-1943) poet, writer, journalist, died as a martyr
Szabó Sámuel writer of the monograph of the village
Ferenczi Kálmán jurist, clerk in the jurist ministry
Ferenczi András (second half of the 17 th century- 1795) Canon of the Roman Catholic church of Transylvania , chief dean and priest from Targu-Mures, orator
Szederjesi András Dr. (1926-) sculptor
Nyitrai Németh Csongor minister