• Introduction of the village

Before the Feher Nyiko would flow into the Tarnava Mare it flows through a village called Ruganesti. The village is at a height of 400-420 meters and it surrounded by hills up to the height of 715 meters. It is only 2 kilometers to Cristuru-Secuiesc and 5 to Simonesti. North to the village lie Chedia Mica and Chedia Mare. Its name is first found in writing in 1495 . The proper name Rugon is either Slavonic or German. 

Until 1968 the village was the administrative center of Betfalva, Chedia Mica and Chedia Mare.

  • Demographical dates

The village has 709 inhabitants. 698 of them are Hungarians, 11 Romanians. Ruganesti is the only one of the villages by the lower flow of Nyiko where the dominant religion is Reformed, 579 inhabitants. 89 inhabitants in the village are Unitarians, 31 Roman Catholics, 8 Orhodoxes and 7 inhabitants have other religion. (dates from 2002)

  • Touristic sights

The Reformed church is really a delight for the tourists who want to see a real monument. It is one of Hargita county’s oldest monuments, a church built in Gothic and Roman style. Originally a Roman Catholic church it was built in the 13 th century and it got its actual form by the renovations and buildings from the 18 th and 19 th centuries. The oldest part of the church is the western part of the shuttle, which is from the late Roman age. In the 15 th century they put to it the Gothic chancel with two windows that have pointed arches. On its western wall there was painted a fresco that illustrates the worshipping of the kings. Now one can see only a little part of it because it was damaged. The paneled ceiling was made in 1983. Nowadays the church is used both by the Reformed and the Unitarians.

Nearby the church there are two Gothic graves that are a rarity even for archeologists.

Nemes Ferenc’s house is worth seen, too and so is the village museum that is also a monument.

The recently renovated fish pond is a real delight for the fishermen.

  • Culture in the village

The primary school from Ruganesti got its name from Makkai Andras a very precious teacher. The first written document about the school can be found in the Odorheiu-Secuiesc Reformed church’s archives. In the beginning the school was a religious one, later it was statalized. Children went there to school even from Betfalva. The school celebrated its 300 th year of existence in 1975, on this occasion they put wooden headbords in the cemetery in the honor of the teachers who had taught in the school.

Cultural life was and is lively in the village. They used to organize photo clubs, music clubs and so on. In 1976 the teacher Szabo Gyula organized for the first time the contest “Perefernum” in the students’ knowledge of our country. The contest is organized every year ever since.
  • Famous people born in the village
  • Bartha Miklós (1848-1905) political writer, narrator, publicist, since 1873 parliamentary deputy
  • Sebesi Samu (1859-1930) writer, journalist, actor
  • Mester Miklós Dr (1906-1989) history writer, secretary of state
  • Mihálykó Anna (1948- ) architect, photographer
  • Jakab Rozália (1928- ) teacher, weaver
  • Balog Dezso (1912- ) studier of folk ballads
  • Mester András (1925- ) actor
  • Mester József (1928- ) opera singer
  • Fellowship connections

In the developing of the village a significant part is played by the fellow community from Zwoll, Holland .

  • Photogallery